What causes memory loss in old age?

Memory loss in old age often comes from Alzheimer's disease in combination with other forms of dementia, such as multi-infarct dementia, which is triggered by mini-strokes; dementia associated with neurological diseases, such as Parkinson's; or circulatory problems, such as atherosclerosis. Alzheimer's is implicated in 50% of all old-age dementia cases.

Most forms of dementia can be postponed or prevented with smoking cessation, a lifelong commitment to physical activity, healthy food choices and portion sizes, stress management, and having friends and a passion in life.

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

How to Reduce Your Risk of Mild Cognitive Impairment
Have you noticed that you’re forgetting where you put your keys or shoes, losing your train of thought in a conversation, or having trouble rememberin...
Is memory loss inevitable?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
At least one study reveals that memory loss can be somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The study...
What does blood flow have to do with memory loss?
A lack of healthy blood flow to the brain is one of the other main causes of forgetfulness. Each sid...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?