How can I remember to lock my car if I have memory problems?

If you have memory difficulties, establish a pattern to lock your car for safety and peace of mind. Have you ever gotten out of your car, walked away and then had to go back to check that you locked it? If so, create a routine that you go through every time you leave your vehicle: Shut off the lights, secure the parking brake, lock the car doors and then double check the lights, brake and locks before you walk away. You might even tell yourself the car is secure. Following a specific routine and telling yourself you're doing each step will imprint the action on your mind.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
How can I deal with benign forgetfulness?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
With a little extra concentration, benign forgetfulness can usually be overcome. You may need to...
How can friends and family help me with my memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Tell your family and friends how they can help instead of fretting about your memory problems. T...
Best Friends Boost Your Health
Best Friends Boost Your Health