How can I remember to lock my car if I have memory problems?

If you have memory difficulties, establish a pattern to lock your car for safety and peace of mind. Have you ever gotten out of your car, walked away and then had to go back to check that you locked it? If so, create a routine that you go through every time you leave your vehicle: Shut off the lights, secure the parking brake, lock the car doors and then double check the lights, brake and locks before you walk away. You might even tell yourself the car is secure. Following a specific routine and telling yourself you're doing each step will imprint the action on your mind.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
Ever forget why you went into a room or step out of the shower with shampoo/conditioner still in your hair? Whether you call it a brain fart or a seni...
How can I use sticky notes to help me remember things?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips on how to use sticky notes to help you remember things: When you're working on...
What are some travel tips for people with memory problems?
Take care of yourself. Keep your memory in good working order while you are traveling by eating ...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?