When should I avoid taking melatonin?

Avoid taking melatonin in these circumstances:
  • If you can’t sleep because of issues like stress, depression, or anxiety. Melatonin may not work in those cases because the problem doesn’t lie with the body’s ability to make its own melatonin. You may benefit from practicing progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) to calm your body and distract your brain.
  • If you have already taken melatonin earlier that evening. Because it is so powerful, too much melatonin may actually disrupt your sleeping pattern, which may lead to your waking up in the middle of the night. Some people complain of a “melatonin hangover,” which may lead to them feeling even more groggy and unrested! This happens because any residual melatonin in your system in the morning will make your body think it’s still nighttime -- and it will be even harder to wake up.
  • If you find yourself needing more than 1 mg at night to fall asleep. You may be taking too high of a dose, and you'll put yourself at risk of disrupting your sleep cycle. If 1 mg of melatonin isn’t enough, your body may be telling you to add other methods to help your sleep.
  • If you’ve been taking melatonin for longer than two weeks. This may be a sign that your body’s sleep issues come from another problem, like stress or depression, that must be addressed differently.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Melatonin

What is the maximum safest dosage of taking melatonin?
MediGuardMediGuard
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not strictly regulate herbs and supplements like melatoni...
Is melatonin safe?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
While melatonin is available over-the-counter (OTC) in the US and Canada, melatonin is available onl...
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?
How Can I Boost My Melatonin Levels Naturally?