How could a melatonin patch help shift workers?

If this experimental patch version of melatonin reaches the market, it could have a much bigger effect on the body than just popping a pill. The half-life of a melatonin pill is short and it doesn’t last long; a patch, on the other hand, can deliver small doses throughout its use to keep the levels in the body consistent for a longer, stronger effect. This might be great for shift workers who sleep during the day, when the body does not like to produce melatonin.

The patch has been tested on people who sleep during daylight hours and work at night.. For this reason, I can see why a melatonin patch could be helpful to those who maintain schedules opposite to the usual solar day (where the body prefers to be functional).

Continue Learning about Melatonin

Is melatonin safe?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
While melatonin is available over-the-counter (OTC) in the US and Canada, melatonin is available onl...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking melatonin?
Although melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone, it can still carry risk. In this video, sleep s...
How Can Melatonin Help Me Sleep Better?
How Can Melatonin Help Me Sleep Better?
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?