What dosage of melatonin supplement is typically used for adults?

The trick to using melatonin to help you sleep is to take just the right amount. To find out the standard -- and safe -- dosage of melatonin, watch my video and I will explain.
Take 0.3 mg to 1 mg of melatonin 90 minutes before you go to sleep. This amount of time will allow your brain to recognize the melatonin you took and make you feel sleepy.

Before you go to bed, it may be helpful to keep the lights down and turn off a nearby television or computer, as light exposure actually inhibits your body from using its own natural melatonin.

Continue Learning about Melatonin

Can melatonin help prevent migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
In one study, the sleep hormone melatonin in a dose of 3 mg taken 30 minutes before bedtime for 3 mo...
How is melatonin regulated?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Sleep problems are frustrating, but should be handled wisely. In this video, sleep specialist Dr. Mi...
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?