What dosage of melatonin supplement is typically used for adults?

Take 0.3 mg to 1 mg of melatonin 90 minutes before you go to sleep. This amount of time will allow your brain to recognize the melatonin you took and make you feel sleepy.

Before you go to bed, it may be helpful to keep the lights down and turn off a nearby television or computer, as light exposure actually inhibits your body from using its own natural melatonin.
The trick to using melatonin to help you sleep is to take just the right amount. To find out the standard -- and safe -- dosage of melatonin, watch my video and I will explain.

Continue Learning about Melatonin

Should I let my doctor know I am taking melatonin?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Although melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone, it can still carry risk. In this video, sleep s...
How is melatonin regulated?
Sleep problems are frustrating, but should be handled wisely. In this video, sleep specialist Dr. Mi...
Improve Your Memory with a Good Night's Sleep
To Sleep Better, Turn on the Light
To Sleep Better, Turn on the Light