What melanoma signs should I look for when I look at my own skin?

The following characteristics may indicate potential skin cancers:
  • Asymmetry: Marks that are not generally round with a uniform shape may be cause for concern.
  • Border: Precancerous and cancerous lesions are more likely to have jagged, irregular borders.
  • Color: A mark that changes color, becoming lighter or darker, or one that is not uniform in color may be dangerous.
  • Diameter: Pay careful attention to any mark that is larger than 1/4 inch in diameter; that's about the size of a pencil eraser.
  • Elevation: Take note of moles or markings that become raised or develop an uneven texture.

In addition to the signs above, a mole that itches, bleeds, doesn't heal, or grows very fast requires a professional medical evaluation. A person knows his or her skin better than anyone and should schedule a visit with a healthcare provider if anything about the skin seems unusual.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where does melanoma occur?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdo...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?