What determines how deep melanoma is?

The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:

• Level I: The cancer is in the epidermis only.
    • Level II: The cancer has begun to spread into the papillary dermis (upper layer of the dermis).
    • Level III: The cancer has spread through the papillary dermis (upper layer of the dermis) into the papillary-reticular dermal interface (the layer between the papillary dermis and the reticular dermis).
    • Level IV: The cancer has spread into the reticular dermis (lower layer of the dermis).
    • Level V: The cancer has spread into the subcutaneous layer (below the skin).

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Is melanoma serious?
Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected ear...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?