Is melanoma serious?

Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected early, the cancerous mole or growth can be surgically removed, and that generally will get rid of the melanoma. However, once the disease has spread from the skin to other parts of the body, it's much more challenging to treat and may require chemotherapy, radiation, or other more intensive treatments. Once the disease progresses far enough, it may not be possible to completely get rid of it and it may become fatal. That being said, it's very important to see a doctor if you notice any changes in existing moles or any new skin growths, since the chance for a full recovery is good if you catch melanoma early.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
How common is melanoma?
More than 53,000 people are diagnosed with melanoma every year in the United States. The number of n...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?