How is lentigo maligna melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing lentigo maligna melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. If you notice an unusual growth on your own skin, especially on your face, neck, or hands, see a doctor right away. The doctor will visually examine the growth to see if it meets the criteria for lentigo maligna melanoma. If the doctor suspects melanoma, a biopsy may be performed, which involves removing the growth and a small part of the surrounding skin and analyzing it under a microscope. Once a diagnosis is made, the doctor can determine the best course of treatment for you.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?