How is lentigo maligna melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing lentigo maligna melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. If you notice an unusual growth on your own skin, especially on your face, neck, or hands, see a doctor right away. The doctor will visually examine the growth to see if it meets the criteria for lentigo maligna melanoma. If the doctor suspects melanoma, a biopsy may be performed, which involves removing the growth and a small part of the surrounding skin and analyzing it under a microscope. Once a diagnosis is made, the doctor can determine the best course of treatment for you.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?