Can melanoma occur on the feet?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but most people don't realize that even the underside of the foot gets exposed to the sun and is vulnerable to melanoma and other types of skin cancer. Melanoma can occur anywhere on the foot -- even in between toes and underneath toenails.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Know the Signs: Skin Cancer
Know the Signs: Skin Cancer
Despite better screening methods, more public awareness and more advanced treatments, the rates of skin cancer continue to rise. It’s been estimated ...
What is malignant melanoma?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Malignant melanoma arises from skin growths known as nevi, or "moles" as they are more commonly know...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Melanoma is cancer of the pigment-producing cells of your body, which are also known as melanocytes....
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?