Can lentigo maligna melanoma be prevented?

Fortunately, there are several things you can do that may help prevent lentigo maligna melanoma. Because lentigo maligna melanoma is related to a lifetime of exposure to ultraviolet radiation, you should limit the time you spend in the sun, especially during its strongest hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you are out in the sun, make sure you wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. It's also a good idea to protect skin by wearing a hat and clothing that covers your arms and legs. These exposure suggestions are especially important if you have a family history of melanoma. Also, make sure to check your skin often-everyone should look out for skin lesions on their body, but people over the age of 50 should see a doctor for yearly skin screenings.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

5 Different Skin Spots and What They May Mean
The statistics on skin cancer are shocking: More than 1 in 5 Americans will develop it by age 70, and more than one person dies of skin cancer—usually...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?