Can lentigo maligna melanoma be prevented?

Fortunately, there are several things you can do that may help prevent lentigo maligna melanoma. Because lentigo maligna melanoma is related to a lifetime of exposure to ultraviolet radiation, you should limit the time you spend in the sun, especially during its strongest hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you are out in the sun, make sure you wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. It's also a good idea to protect skin by wearing a hat and clothing that covers your arms and legs. These exposure suggestions are especially important if you have a family history of melanoma. Also, make sure to check your skin often-everyone should look out for skin lesions on their body, but people over the age of 50 should see a doctor for yearly skin screenings.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?