Can lentigo maligna melanoma be prevented?

Fortunately, there are several things you can do that may help prevent lentigo maligna melanoma. Because lentigo maligna melanoma is related to a lifetime of exposure to ultraviolet radiation, you should limit the time you spend in the sun, especially during its strongest hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you are out in the sun, make sure you wear sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF) that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. It's also a good idea to protect skin by wearing a hat and clothing that covers your arms and legs. These exposure suggestions are especially important if you have a family history of melanoma. Also, make sure to check your skin often-everyone should look out for skin lesions on their body, but people over the age of 50 should see a doctor for yearly skin screenings.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than all other cancers combined. But despite being so common, it’s also the most treatable cancer...
What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?