What is dysplastic nevus syndrome?

A condition called dysplastic nevus syndrome, also known as familial melanoma syndrome or familial atypical multiple mole melanoma syndrome, can increase a person's risk for developing melanoma. A "nevus" is a mole. These particular moles are often irregularly shaped and may be larger than other moles. They can appear anywhere on the body, sun-exposed or not. This condition tends to run in families. A person with this condition may have many moles on her body or just a few. Researchers believe that a genetic predisposition for dysplastic nevus syndrome may exist.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...
How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I ca...
Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Bruce E. Brockstein, MDBruce E. Brockstein, MD
To reduce the risk of melanoma, try not to burn, and avoid tanning salons and intentional sun tann...