Can people with dark skin get melanoma?

Sharecare Ad Target User
Administration Specialist

Even though fair-skinned and light-haired people are most at risk for developing melanoma, it's possible for people with dark skin to develop the disease, too. In people with darker skin tones, their skin naturally produces more melanin, or pigment, which means their skin has more protection from the sun. However, melanoma still can occur, and when it does, it's more likely to be "hidden." This means that the melanoma develops in places that aren't exposed to the sun. Possible areas that can be affected include eyes, esophagus, mouth, nose, and urinary tract. These types of melanoma are often more difficult to find, so it's important to talk with a doctor if you have any unusual symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

Who is at risk for melanoma?
Dr. Bruce E. Brockstein, MDDr. Bruce E. Brockstein, MD
The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates there were 68,720 new cases of melanoma and 8,650 deaths...
Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Bruce E. Brockstein, MDBruce E. Brockstein, MD
To reduce the risk of melanoma, try not to burn, and avoid tanning salons and intentional sun tann...
How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I ca...