Can people with dark skin get melanoma?

Sharecare Ad Target User
Administration Specialist

Even though fair-skinned and light-haired people are most at risk for developing melanoma, it's possible for people with dark skin to develop the disease, too. In people with darker skin tones, their skin naturally produces more melanin, or pigment, which means their skin has more protection from the sun. However, melanoma still can occur, and when it does, it's more likely to be "hidden." This means that the melanoma develops in places that aren't exposed to the sun. Possible areas that can be affected include eyes, esophagus, mouth, nose, and urinary tract. These types of melanoma are often more difficult to find, so it's important to talk with a doctor if you have any unusual symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
What is dysplastic nevus syndrome?
A condition called dysplastic nevus syndrome, also known as familial melanoma syndrome or famili...
Are African Americans less likely to develop melanoma than Caucasians?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Skin cancers comprise a rare 1 to 2% of all cancers in African Americans, yet the death rate is most...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Once you've got your daily sun, here's what you can do to make sure you protect yourself from ha...