How does melanoma affect Hispanic people?

Jenny C. Hu, MD
Dermatology
Whites are at the highest risk of getting melanoma. The risk for Hispanics is only four per 100,000, while for blacks, Asians and Pacific Islanders, only about one in 100,000 will get melanoma in his or her lifetime.

Even though Hispanics have such a low rate of melanoma, when they do get melanoma it tends to be on the soles of the feet or the palms of the hands, which don’t get sun exposure. These people tend to get thicker, more aggressive melanomas and more late-stage melanomas that spread to different parts of the body. Hispanics who develop melanoma have a much higher risk of it having already metastasized to other parts of the body by the time of diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...
What causes melanoma?
Though the specific cause of melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are p...
Does melanoma run in families?
The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you hav...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Once you've got your daily sun, here's what you can do to make sure you protect yourself from ha...