Does melanoma run in families?

The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you have a greater chance of developing the disease. Approximately ten percent of people who are diagnosed with melanoma have a family member who has also had melanoma. If you have a family history of melanoma, you should see a doctor for a skin screening at least once a year.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I ca...
How does melanoma affect Hispanic people?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Whites are at the highest risk of getting melanoma. The risk for Hispanics is only four per 100,000,...
Can people with dark skin get melanoma?
Sharecare Ad Target UserSharecare Ad Target User
Even though fair-skinned and light-haired people are most at risk for developing melanoma, it's poss...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Once you've got your daily sun, here's what you can do to make sure you protect yourself from ha...