Does melanoma run in families?

The risk for melanoma can run in families. If you have family members who have had melanoma, you have a greater chance of developing the disease. Approximately ten percent of people who are diagnosed with melanoma have a family member who has also had melanoma. If you have a family history of melanoma, you should see a doctor for a skin screening at least once a year.

Continue Learning about Melanoma Causes & Risk Factors

How does melanoma affect Hispanic people?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Whites are at the highest risk of getting melanoma. The risk for Hispanics is only four per 100,000,...
Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...
How do tanning beds affect melanoma risk?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Tanning in tanning salons is a significant risk factor for developing melanoma and skin cancer. I ca...
How do I reduce my melanoma risk?
Bruce E. Brockstein, MDBruce E. Brockstein, MD
To reduce the risk of melanoma, try not to burn, and avoid tanning salons and intentional sun tann...