What are the symptoms of medullary thyroid cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The symptoms of medullary thyroid include pain in the neck when swallowing and a visible or easily detectable lump on the thyroid gland. People with this type of thyroid cancer may also cough or cough up blood, have problems breathing because of airway obstruction, and have diarrhea. Another symptom is a change to the way your voice sounds. It may be gruff-sounding and hoarse and may get worse in time. If you have any combination of the above symptoms, it is important to make an appointment to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Medullary Thyroid Cancer

Who is most at risk for medullary thyroid cancer?
About 20 percent of medullary thyroid cancer cases come from inheritance, as an abnormal gene (usual...
How do I manage my medullary thyroid cancer on a daily basis?
Living with medullary thyroid cancer can be stressful. Ask your doctor to help you get as much infor...
What if medullary thyroid cancer runs in my family?
One of the risk factors for medullary thyroid cancer is if the disease runs in your family. If that ...
Is medullary thyroid cancer serious?
Medullary thyroid cancer is a serious disease that is difficult to treat. One of the most uncommon f...