Why do some people become anxious when they first learn to meditate?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry

Working with people with mental health problems such as anxiety and depression, I occasionally have clients who become more anxious when they first begin to practice mindfulness meditation. Often people who already have anxiety find their anxiety increases specifically with breathing exercises - if this happens, I encourage people to continue practicing, and really work on bringing awareness and acceptance to their anxiety. Sometimes, however, if they can't tolerate this, I'll suggest that they do something other than the breathing until they become more used to mindfulness, and then they can come back to the breathing exercises later.

Recently, I had a client in a mindfulness group who was dealing with a lot of anxiety and found that her anxiety increased when she began practicing. I gave her my usual reassurance that mindfulness does take time to get used to, and that the anxiety usually decreases over time and once she becomes more accustomed to practice. Soon after, she reported having "an epiphany", that she is just so unused to being in the present moment that this was what was making her anxious. This isn't uncommon either - especially for people with anxiety disorders, who frequently live in the future rather than the present, they're not used to looking at what's happening in this moment, never mind trying to bring acceptance to it! Often what we find in the present is scary, and that's one reason we've been living in the past or the future. Once you get used to this idea, however, and become more effective at practicing mindfulness, you will find that it is just a healthier, happier way of living your life. So as best as you can, tolerate the anxiety if it's there, and be assured that it will dissipate; it just takes some effort, which in the long-run, is well worth it!

Continue Learning about Meditation

Find Your True Self Through Silence
Find Your True Self Through Silence
Have you ever spent time with someone you love and just shared the silence of the moment together? Not that uncomfortable silence where someone is ang...
There are so many different types of meditation, which one should I try?
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research CenterUCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
It’s true. There are probably hundreds of types of meditation including visualization, concentration...
What are the effects of meditation?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Meditation helps the body to relax. Besides this, you will also begin to notice that you are more se...
Does Meditation Improve Brain Function?
Does Meditation Improve Brain Function?