Why do people meditate?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The reasons people meditate are as varied as the types of mediation that are available. Many people meditate as part of their religious or spiritual practice while others use it for medical purposes.
Since the early 1970’s in the United States, there has been an increased interest in meditation for its therapeutic effect. It has been found to boost the immune system, improve the body’s response to insulin, reduce blood pressure, and improve the quality of life for patients with congestive heart failure and cancer. Meditation can also reduce anxiety, help with insomnia and improve longevity. 
Meditation is a process that involves relaxing the body and quieting the mind. There are many types of meditation. Transcendental meditation requires the participant to repeat a word or phrase known as a mantra. Some forms focus on the breath and still others such as Tai Chi can be done through movement.
The bottom line: Regardless of the initial reason that gets them started most people meditate because it helps them to feel good.

Continue Learning about Meditation

What Can I Do to Promote Feelings of Zen?
2 Tips to Relieve Chronic Pain Without Drugs
How Is Meditation Beneficial for Heart Health?
How Mental and Physical Exercise Improve Brain Health