What is a simple meditation exercise?

Sit in a quiet comfortable spot (a chair is fine; you don’t have to be cross-legged on the floor). Choose a word to repeat to yourself, like the familiar ommm. Although it’s meaningless, its resonant sound has been shown to be calming. Or simply murmur “breathe in” and “breathe out” to yourself, or count your breaths from one to ten, then repeat. Close your eyes and focus on your word or count. When thoughts intrude, gently bring your attention back to the word or count. Don’t stress over whether you’re doing it right and, if time’s an issue, set a timer so you don’t worry about it. Otherwise, simply keep going as long as you can without falling asleep. When you’re ready, slowly open your eyes.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Meditation

Meditate During Stressful Medical Procedures
“I have so much to accomplish today,” Mahatma Gandhi once said, “that I must meditate for two hours instead of one.” That about sums up the far-reachi...
Why does meditation work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
No one is entirely sure, but there are good theories.It has something to do with relaxing the body's...
How can I use meditation to relieve stress?
John Douillard, DCJohn Douillard, DC
From an Ayurvedic standpoint, meditation can be used to relieve stress through mindfulness. A One-Mi...
How Mental and Physical Exercise Improve Brain Health