What are the different brain wave states?

There are four brain wave states that take our mind to different places. First is Beta Wave, where we are awake, alert and oriented to all things. Our mind is active and in a conscious state. The second is Alpha Wave, where we are relaxed, perhaps daydreaming, cat napping, meditating or enjoying a blissful calm. We are not asleep, but we are barely there. Our minds dimly register what's currently going on - and have greater access to subconscious thoughts. The third is Theta Wave, where we become drowsy and fall into light sleep. Deep sleep is Delta Wave, where we are out for the count. The movement between Delta and Theta Waves is the zone where we dream, and where REM sleep can be measured.

Continue Learning about Meditation

How Does a Busy Person Begin a Meditation Practice?
Many doctors, even those who are interested in nutrition and exercise, often view stress management techniques as being less important to good health....
What should I know before I try meditation?
John Douillard, DCJohn Douillard, DC
Before you try meditation, you should know that it’s never too early or too late to start transformi...
What is active meditation?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you are chronically multi-tasking, if your mind jumps from topic to topic, or if your to-do l...
How Can Meditation Help Me Relax?
How Can Meditation Help Me Relax?