What is body scan meditation?

Body scan meditation is a relaxation technique that incorporates breath focus and visualization. This technique helps you become more attuned to the connection between your mind and body. Almost all of us carry unnecessary tension in our muscles. But where each of us feels it varies. One woman might have a tight neck and shoulders, while her husband feels an iron band digging into his forehead. A body scan can help you locate -- and release -- the tension in your body.

The body scan is the first step in meditation. The person meditating "checks in" with body parts, one at a time. The idea is to focus on a particular part of the body to the point where the person meditating feels it: Is my foot tense? Is it relaxed? Is it tired? Achy?

By achieving an intimate connection between the mind and the body, a person becomes much more aware of what is happening with his or her physical form.

Such awareness can lead to an ability to control the body with the mind, allowing people to manage pain with the mind-whether it is chronic pain, or the pain that follows a medical procedure.

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

How long should I meditate?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
When on a spiritual path based on the practice of Yoga, you will develop an intuitive knowledge of h...
How do I achieve stillness through meditation?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Stillness is an inner state brought about by becoming aware of the space between your thoughts and f...
How can I stop my mind from wandering during meditation?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
There are many different types of meditation;one of the most important things to remember in any med...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?