How can I learn meditation?

Many people find the idea of meditation to be daunting. They think they do not have the time, saying, “Someday I will devote the time to study meditation.” Meditation is simple. You don’t need training and you don’t need to be alone in the mountains. You can learn it right now! All you need is a quiet place to sit and the curiosity to try for 10 minutes. Here are three steps to learning to meditate:

Step 1: Sit comfortably in a chair with your spine erect and both legs and thighs forming a 90-degree angle with the ground, keeping your feet shoulder-width apart -- or sit in a cross-legged position.

Step 2: Close your eyes and breathe as naturally as possible. After a few breaths, try breathing with your abdomen only. Slowly, your breath will deepen as you practice.

Step 3: Begin to quiet your mind. Of course, the thoughts will come -- and they will always be there. Don’t struggle against them. Let the thoughts come, but don’t dwell on them. Keep relaxing, and bring your consciousness back to your breath. If you have trouble concentrating, focus on one thing, a word or a mantra that can invoke a calming effect within you.

That’s really all there is to it!
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

There are many ways to learn meditation: reading books, listening to tapes, or studying with a teacher. Meditation can take place indoors or outdoors, at home or in class, alone or with family, friends, self-help groups, or spiritual communities. Meditation does not have to be done in a cross-legged position or even sitting down. Walking, swimming, dancing, listening to music, or rocking in a rocking chair can all be meditative activities. Any time that we focus on awareness may be meditative.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

How can I perform a scanning exercise on another person?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
For this exercise, it is better if you stand. Your subject can sit or stand. He should just relax an...
What is body scan meditation?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Body scan meditation is a relaxation technique that incorporates breath focus and visualization. Thi...
How do I dispose my dirty energy properly?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The simplest and most effective way to neutralize the dirty energy that you sweep away from your aur...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?