How do I acquire objectivity through meditation?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Regular meditation gives you perspective on yourself, your habits, and your behaviors. You come to see yourself from the outside; you acquire objectivity and conscious- unconscious dissociation. This detachment from your thoughts, impressions, and emotions diminishes their power over you and increases your power over them. You starve them of attention and energy and gain a firm sense of control over your unconscious mind.

Zen Buddhism views the mind as a turbulent pool of water. If you swish your hand in a pool, for example, you stir up the mud at the bottom and make it more difficult to see. But if you sit quietly and observe, the mud will settle; you can see clearly. Similarly, if you act aggressively and try to use your willpower to change unwanted thoughts, reactions, and behaviors or suppress negative emotions and thoughts, all you do is “muddy the pool” of your mind. You can’t change an unconscious thought or clear a negative emotion with a conscious, forceful effort. Your unconscious mind will fight you, clamp down further on those negative emotions, or bury limiting beliefs even deeper in your body. Optimal insight and change are best achieved through calm objectivity.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Meditation Techniques

How can I perform a scanning exercise on another person?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
For this exercise, it is better if you stand. Your subject can sit or stand. He should just relax an...
How can I learn meditation?
Many people find the idea of meditation to be daunting. They think they do not have the time, saying...
How can I begin my practice of meditation?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Let’s say you are ready to feel better, to think more positively and to feel less distressed. Be...
What's the Simplest Way to Start Meditating?