When should I call the doctor if I am taking varenicline?

If you are taking varenicline (Chantix), call your doctor if you experience any of the following signs or symptoms:
  • fever or chills
  • bluish tint to the skin
  • mood swings, anxiety or nervousness
  • abnormal or suicidal thoughts
  • red skin lesions or peeling of skin
  • ulcers on the skin
  • severe acne
  • dizziness, drowsiness and an inability to concentrate              
Call 911 for:
  • a severe allergic reaction with cough, wheezing, chest constriction or skin itching
  • sudden swelling of the tongue, face, lips, throat or ear lobes

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Varenicline (Chantix) is approved by the FDA to help people quit smoking. It is thought to reduce ni...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...