Can teenagers take Chantix for smoking cessation?

Nina Evans
Pharmacy
Chantix (varenicline) is not approved for children or teenagers. You have to be 18 or older to get a prescription. It hasn't been studied enough in adolescents to know how safe or unsafe Chantix may be. But we do know that smoking is unsafe, so if you're a teen who is ready to quit, talk to your doctor about your options.
Chantix (varenicline) is not currently recommended for people under 18. Teenagers should speak with their pediatrician or family doctor about other methods of smoking cessation. More studies must be done on younger people taking Chantix to make sure the drug is both safe and effective.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...
Do all medications to help me stop smoking contain nicotine?
No. Zyban (Welbutrin) does not contain nicotine. Zyban is used as to help with cravings and some wit...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...