Can I take varenicline if I am breastfeeding?

There is not enough research available to show that varenicline (Chantix) is safe to take while breastfeeding. Studies have not shown whether varenicline passes through breast milk. Your doctor may discuss the risks and benefits of taking varenicline while breastfeeding and compare these to the serious risks of cigarette smoking while nursing a baby. Your doctor may also suggest using an alternative method to stop smoking.

Continue Learning about Dependency Agent

What should I know before taking varenicline?
Bupropion and varenicline have been shown to help people with schizophrenia quit smoking. But relaps...
What are the side effects of varenicline?
Dr. Frank T. Leone, MDDr. Frank T. Leone, MD
Varenicline can be used to help you stop smoking, as it reduces the urge to smoke. However, it may c...
What is varenicline (Chantix)?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Varenicline, more commonly known as Chantix, is a new class of drugs which blocks the pleasant effec...
How effective is varenicline?
Studies show that people who use varenicline at the recommended dose of 2 mg a day are 3 times more ...