When can I file an appeal to a Medicare claim?

If you are filing an appeal to an Original Medicare (Part A or B) claim, you must file within 120 days of receiving a Medicare Summary Notice (MSN).

If you are appealing a Medicare Part D claim, once you have received your request for coverage determination, you have 60 days to file an appeal.

If you have a Medicare Advantage or other supplemental Medicare plan, the timing of your appeal will depend on your specific plan.

For more information about when and how to file an appeal to a Medicare claim, check the back of your MSN or your Explanation of Benefits (EOB). Your EOB details what Medicare covers and how to access the services. You can also call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or visit www.medicare.gov.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
Does Medicare pay for nursing home stays?
Juliet WilkinsonJuliet Wilkinson
I would like to add to the previous answers to this question in reminding about the Medicare hospice...
How does my insurer decide what is an experimental treatment?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
There is little consistency among managed care organizations in determining which treatments are...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?