When can I file an appeal to a Medicare claim?

If you are filing an appeal to an Original Medicare (Part A or B) claim, you must file within 120 days of receiving a Medicare Summary Notice (MSN).

If you are appealing a Medicare Part D claim, once you have received your request for coverage determination, you have 60 days to file an appeal.

If you have a Medicare Advantage or other supplemental Medicare plan, the timing of your appeal will depend on your specific plan.

For more information about when and how to file an appeal to a Medicare claim, check the back of your MSN or your Explanation of Benefits (EOB). Your EOB details what Medicare covers and how to access the services. You can also call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or visit www.medicare.gov.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
How do I know if I’m eligible for Medicare?
You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen, 65 or over who had paid into Medicare f...
Does Medicare pay for nursing home stays?
Juliet WilkinsonJuliet Wilkinson
I would like to add to the previous answers to this question in reminding about the Medicare hospice...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?