What if I cannot afford to pay for my prescriptions?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing
If you cannot pay for your prescriptions, the most important thing to do is talk to your physician.  There are many options that your physician may explore.  For example, some pharmaceutical companies provide support to patients who are unable to pay for medications.  There are also some other programs available to patients.  Two programs can be found at the websites: RxAssist.org and NeedyMeds.org. Your physician may also look for alternative medications to prescribe. 

AARP
Administration
If you can’t afford to pay for your prescriptions, you should check to see if you are eligible for the program called Extra Help through Medicare. People who qualify for the largest amount of Extra Help pay nothing for their Medicare drug plan premium and deductible, and only $2.50 per generic prescription ($6.30 per brand-name prescription) for their covered drugs. Other people pay only a portion of their Medicare drug plan premiums and deductibles based on their income level.

Some states have State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (SPAPs) that help people pay prescription drug costs. Each SPAP has different rules about eligibility, how to apply and how it works with Medicare prescription drug coverage. For information, contact the SPAP in your state.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Medicare

Medicare

Medicare is the federal health insurance plan for people over age 65 or who are long-term disabled. Eligibility and enrollment is through the Social Security Administration. Medicare has changed over the years, offering additional ...

options for healthcare insurance. Traditional Medicare includes Part A for hospital insurance and Part B for medical coverage, meaning it covers doctor visits and other medical bills. Part C, also called Medicare Advantage, allows private health insurance companies to provide Medicare benefits. Part D is a prescription drug plan. It's important to carefully assess your healthcare needs and which plan is right for you. Learn more about Medicare benefits with expert advice from Sharecare.