What if I cannot afford to pay for my prescriptions?

• A answered
    If you can’t afford to pay for your prescriptions, you should check to see if you are eligible for the program called Extra Help through Medicare. People who qualify for the largest amount of Extra Help pay nothing for their Medicare drug plan premium and deductible, and only $2.50 per generic prescription ($6.30 per brand-name prescription) for their covered drugs. Other people pay only a portion of their Medicare drug plan premiums and deductibles based on their income level.

Some states have State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (SPAPs) that help people pay prescription drug costs. Each SPAP has different rules about eligibility, how to apply and how it works with Medicare prescription drug coverage. For information, contact the SPAP in your state.

• A , Nursing, answered
    If you cannot pay for your prescriptions, the most important thing to do is talk to your physician.  There are many options that your physician may explore.  For example, some pharmaceutical companies provide support to patients who are unable to pay for medications.  There are also some other programs available to patients.  Two programs can be found at the websites: and Your physician may also look for alternative medications to prescribe. 
Can I sign up for Medicare Part D at any time?