What if I cannot afford to pay for my prescriptions?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing
If you cannot pay for your prescriptions, the most important thing to do is talk to your physician.  There are many options that your physician may explore.  For example, some pharmaceutical companies provide support to patients who are unable to pay for medications.  There are also some other programs available to patients.  Two programs can be found at the websites: RxAssist.org and NeedyMeds.org. Your physician may also look for alternative medications to prescribe. 

If you can’t afford to pay for your prescriptions, you should check to see if you are eligible for the program called Extra Help through Medicare. People who qualify for the largest amount of Extra Help pay nothing for their Medicare drug plan premium and deductible, and only $2.50 per generic prescription ($6.30 per brand-name prescription) for their covered drugs. Other people pay only a portion of their Medicare drug plan premiums and deductibles based on their income level.

Some states have State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (SPAPs) that help people pay prescription drug costs. Each SPAP has different rules about eligibility, how to apply and how it works with Medicare prescription drug coverage. For information, contact the SPAP in your state.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Can my 20-year-old son be added to my Medicare policy?
AARPAARP
No, he cannot be added to your Medicare, although there is a provision in the new law that allows ad...
How much does Medigap insurance cost?
The average annual premium for the most popular type of Medigap insurance is around $2,000. However,...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?