What if I cannot afford to pay for my prescriptions?

If you can’t afford to pay for your prescriptions, you should check to see if you are eligible for the program called Extra Help through Medicare. People who qualify for the largest amount of Extra Help pay nothing for their Medicare drug plan premium and deductible, and only $2.50 per generic prescription ($6.30 per brand-name prescription) for their covered drugs. Other people pay only a portion of their Medicare drug plan premiums and deductibles based on their income level.

Some states have State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs (SPAPs) that help people pay prescription drug costs. Each SPAP has different rules about eligibility, how to apply and how it works with Medicare prescription drug coverage. For information, contact the SPAP in your state.
Joane Goodroe
Nursing
If you cannot pay for your prescriptions, the most important thing to do is talk to your physician.  There are many options that your physician may explore.  For example, some pharmaceutical companies provide support to patients who are unable to pay for medications.  There are also some other programs available to patients.  Two programs can be found at the websites: RxAssist.org and NeedyMeds.org. Your physician may also look for alternative medications to prescribe. 

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
How does my insurer decide what is an experimental treatment?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
There is little consistency among managed care organizations in determining which treatments are...
What happens to my younger spouse when I go on Medicare at age 65?
AARPAARP
The best option for your spouse, frankly, is for you to work longer—if this is at all possible—so th...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?