How can my retirement benefits affect my Medicare enrollment?

If you are already receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits, you are automatically enrolled in Original Medicare — Parts A and B. If you want to consider a Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan, check with Medicare about these enrollment opportunities.

It's important to weigh carefully the health care resources you’ll have — not just in the next year or so, but also several years down the road. Individuals who will have strong retiree benefits from, say, a union or public service career may choose to opt out of Part B, while those who are still working but don’t expect to receive retiree health benefits often opt to switch over to Part B before leaving the work force.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Reasons to Switch Medicare Part D Plans
Medicare beneficiaries can make changes to their prescription drug coverage between Oct. 15 and Dec. 7. This annual open enrollment period is when you...
How can I enroll in Medigap insurance coverage?
You can enroll in Medicare and any supplemental Medicare plans when you file for retirement or disab...
Why find out the treatments your policy considers experimental?
Before you sign up for a health insurance plan, you should ask do some research on the insurance com...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?