How can my retirement benefits affect my Medicare enrollment?

If you are already receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits, you are automatically enrolled in Original Medicare — Parts A and B. If you want to consider a Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan, check with Medicare about these enrollment opportunities.

It's important to weigh carefully the health care resources you’ll have — not just in the next year or so, but also several years down the road. Individuals who will have strong retiree benefits from, say, a union or public service career may choose to opt out of Part B, while those who are still working but don’t expect to receive retiree health benefits often opt to switch over to Part B before leaving the work force.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
How will the new healthcare law affect me if I have long-term care needs?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Until recently when President Obama signed the Health Care reform into law, there was “no political ...
Can I cover my family under my Medicare coverage?
When it comes to Medicare, it’s each man, woman, or child for him or herself. You cannot cover your ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?