What are my payment options for my Medicare premiums?

Most people do not have a premium for Medicare Part A because they have 40 quarters or more of Medicare “taxes.” For the other parts (B,C,D -- pretty clever how they named ‘em, eh?), you have several payment options for your Medicare premiums. Here are some of your choices:

• Automatic deduction. You can have the premium taken right out of your checking or savings account. It can also be charged to a credit or debit card each month.
  • Social Security deduction. You can have your payment deducted from your Social Security benefits each month. If you choose this option, the first deduction may not occur for three months, and the premiums will add up until the automatic deduction begins.
  • Snail mail. If you prefer the classic bill delivery method, you can elect to have your bills mailed to you. 

For more information about Medicare billing call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or online at www.medicare.gov.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How Medicare Part D Has Changed in 10 Years
Retirees gained the option to purchase prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D in 2006. Since then, 24 million people have enrolled in pres...
How was Medicare developed?
Medicare was developed from a request by Harry Truman for Congress to create a national health plan....
What if I have not worked long enough to qualify for Medicare?
If you have not worked long enough to qualify for Medicare, you will need to file for Social Securit...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?