If I am elderly with diabetes, do I need Medigap insurance?

Even in its present state, Medicare does not cover everything you need for your diabetes care. To fill gaps in your coverage, you can choose from the many Medigap plans available from private insurance companies.

Medigap plans pick up some of the charges that Medicare won’t cover. These Medigap plans are standardized and regulated by state and federal law. There are a number of different Medigap plans that provide different benefits.

A particular plan’s benefits are the same, regardless of which private insurance sells it. However, the costs may vary. Be sure to compare plans between insurance companies before purchasing a Medigap plan.

Medigap Tip

You cannot be denied Medigap coverage if you apply within the 6-month period following the first day of the month when you turn 65 years old and enrolled in Medicare Part B.

The booklet “Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare,” written by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), is updated every year and is available at www.medicare.gov or through any insurance company.

Ask for it, or call Social Security to have it sent to you. It will be very helpful in face of the changes that regularly occur in Medicare. It contains the federal standards for Medigap policies and general information about Medicare.

Continue Learning about Medicare

What Is Medicare? 4 Essential Questions, Answered
If you’ll soon be turning 65, you’re probably starting to think about Medicare, the federal health insurance program currently covering more than 55 m...
What are my payment options for my Medicare premiums?
Most people do not have a premium for Medicare Part A because they have 40 quarters or more of Medic...
How does Medicare work with AARP?
Medicare and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) work together like the YOU Docs who ...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?