How was Medicare developed?

Medicare was developed from a request by Harry Truman for Congress to create a national health plan. As a senator, Truman was shocked by how many average citizens could not afford to have a check-up with a doctor. In 1945, as President, Truman proposed the idea of a government-sponsored health plan for working Americans and their families, but it was shot down.

In the 1960s, Lyndon Johnson was concerned about the fact that about 40% of seniors lived at or below the poverty level and could not afford basic health care. So with the foundation that Truman had laid, Johnson signed Medicare (and Medicaid) into law in 1965, creating the first iteration of government-sponsored health insurance for the elderly and the poor. It is the nation's second-largest social insurance program, with total 2010 calendar year expenditures estimated to reach over $600 billion. (For comparison, Social Security Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI) expenditures are expected to total $700 billion in 2010.) Medicare was enacted in 1965 as a sweeping compromise among competing proposals. In 1967, its first complete year of operation, the Medicare program expenditures accounted for approximately 9.7% of all health expenditures in the United States. This proportion increased steadily from 1972 to 1983 before stabilizing in the vicinity of 16% for 1984 to 1993. In recent years, the percentage increased further, reaching over 30%.

Since 1965, Medicare has evolved and developed a great deal. Now, it has been expanded to include prescription drug plans and coverage for disabled Americans and people living with HIV/AIDS. Supplemental policies such as Medigap are also available to fill gaps in coverage.

Continue Learning about Medicare

Open Enrollment 2015: What Medicare Beneficiaries Need to Know
Medicare beneficiaries may have noticed their mailboxes are filling with brochures and packets from health insurance companies. That’s because the ope...
When will I receive my Medicare membership card?
If you enrolled either automatically (because you receive disability or retirement benefits from Soc...
How do I know if I have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan?
You will know if you have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan by checking your enrollme...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?