How do Medicare Part D plans work for transplant recipients?

For transplant recipients the reality of utilizing Medicare Part D to maximize benefits is not simple, but rather complicated. The intricacies of Medicare Part D involve not only understanding premium costs and benefit stages, but formularies, and particularly for people having transplants, deciphering how Medicare Part B immunosuppressant coverage influences Part D coverage.

Medicare Part D plans are voluntary prescription drug coverage options offered by private insurance companies who meet standards established by Medicare. Everyone entitled to Medicare Part A (which covers inpatient care in hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, hospice care and some home health care) or enrolled in Medicare Part B (recipients pay a monthly premium for Part B, which helps cover doctor and specified outpatient care and some outpatient medications such as immunosuppressants for qualifying people) qualifies to enroll in a Part D plan.

Most Medicare recipients will pay a premium to participate in Part D, with premiums varying from plan to plan in each state. Part D plans’ monthly premiums range from less than $20 to greater than $60; however average premiums range from $32.20 to $37 for the average standard plan (Medicare defines standard plan as the minimum coverage that a drug plan most provide).

If you did not have Medicare Part A when you got your transplant or if you did not have your transplant in a Medicare approved transplant program, your anti-rejection drugs have not been covered by Part B, but may be covered under Part D. 

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Can I wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D when I need coverage?
AARPAARP
Yes, you can wait and sign up later for Medicare Part D but consider this carefully. There will be a...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?