How is Medicare funded?

Medicare costs about $277 billion per year, roughly 13 percent of the total federal budget.

Funding comes partially from payroll taxes, through provisions of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act. FICA deductions from Americans' paychecks finance Social Security and Medicare. The Medicare tax rate is 2.9 percent-half withheld from employees' pay and half provided by employers.

High-income Social Security beneficiaries also pay income tax on their benefits, some of which goes toward Medicare. The money goes into a trust fund used to pay doctors, hospitals and private insurance companies when Medicare patients use their services. This trust fund has been more difficult to manage than the Social Security trust fund, because health care expenditures are harder to track and can change quickly.

About one-fourth of Medicare Part B is paid for by premiums and co-pays. ## Medicare began as a single-payer system in which the government served as administrator and distributor of taxpayer-funded insurance. But since the 1990s, private health insurers have been allowed to take part in Medicare, opening the system to market forces. The Medicare Advantage Plan programs are the primary example of this.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
Is there any aid available to help me pay for Medicare?
You bet. There are a number of programs that help you pay for Medicare, if you’re eligible. Here’s a...
Is there anyone I can talk to about my specific Medicare eligibility needs?
Yes. You can make an appointment with a Social Security representative at your local office by cal...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?