How is Medicare funded?

Medicare costs about $277 billion per year, roughly 13 percent of the total federal budget.

Funding comes partially from payroll taxes, through provisions of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act. FICA deductions from Americans' paychecks finance Social Security and Medicare. The Medicare tax rate is 2.9 percent-half withheld from employees' pay and half provided by employers.

High-income Social Security beneficiaries also pay income tax on their benefits, some of which goes toward Medicare. The money goes into a trust fund used to pay doctors, hospitals and private insurance companies when Medicare patients use their services. This trust fund has been more difficult to manage than the Social Security trust fund, because health care expenditures are harder to track and can change quickly.

About one-fourth of Medicare Part B is paid for by premiums and co-pays. ## Medicare began as a single-payer system in which the government served as administrator and distributor of taxpayer-funded insurance. But since the 1990s, private health insurers have been allowed to take part in Medicare, opening the system to market forces. The Medicare Advantage Plan programs are the primary example of this.

Continue Learning about Medicare

5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
5 Ways Medicare Has Changed in 50 Years
It has been 50 years since President Lyndon Johnson signed a health insurance program for older Americans into law on July 30, 1965. Medicare continue...
Can my 20-year-old son be added to my Medicare policy?
AARPAARP
No, he cannot be added to your Medicare, although there is a provision in the new law that allows ad...
How do I know if I have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan?
You will know if you have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan by checking your enrollme...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?