How can I get Medicare coverage for blood glucose test strips?

In order to receive Medicare coverage for blood glucose test strips and related supplies, a prescription must be written by a physician. This prescription must meet the following guidelines:

The prescription must be renewed every six months.
The prescription must clearly document the number of strips and lancets to dispense.
The prescription must document whether or not the patient uses insulin to manage diabetes.
The frequency with which the patient should monitor their blood glucose level or use the supplies must be clearly identified. This point is extremely important as Medicare will not accept prescriptions that state monitoring should occur or supplies should be used "as needed."

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Protect Yourself Against Common Medicare Scams
It's that time of year again when the nation's 54 million Medicare beneficiaries have the chance to swap Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription dr...
How can I qualify for the Medicare home care benefit?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
To see a full list of Medicare Coverage, please go to the following website: http://www.medicare.gov...
Does Medicare cover insulin pumps and related supplies?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Medicare covers insulin pumps, single and multiple use medical supplies for use with a pump, and ins...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?