For Medicare Part D drug coverage, what is the late enrollment penalty?

The late-enrollment penalty is an added fee you have to pay when you enroll in a Medicare Part D plan if you either 1) didn’t join a Medicare drug plan when you were first eligible for Medicare and you didn’t have prescription drug coverage from an employer, union, etc., or 2) didn’t have any drug coverage (Medicare or otherwise) for 63 days or more in a row.

At least an extra 1 percent of the national average premium will be added to your premium for each month that you delay and are without creditable drug coverage, and you will pay the penalty (which increases each year, along with the average premium) for as long as you have Medicare drug coverage. In other words, if you delay for 20 months, your Part D premiums will always be at least 20 percent more than what other people pay — or what you would have paid if you’d signed up on time.

For 2010, the national average premium is $32. So each month you go without coverage adds 32 cents (1 percent of $32) to your monthly premium. For example, if you sign up for Part D during open enrollment in November or December 2010, and you’ve been without creditable drug coverage for 20 months after first becoming eligible to join Part D, your penalty would be $6.40 a month (or $76.80 for the year) on top of your regular plan premiums. If the national average premium increases in 2011 and subsequent years, your penalty also rises.

Continue Learning about Medicare

What to Consider When Shopping for Medicare Coverage
Between October 15 and December 7, Medicare’s annual open enrollment period, millions of Medicare beneficiaries have a chance to make changes to their...
Will my Medicare Part D premiums increase if I earn too much money?
AARPAARP
The income levels for higher premiums start at $85,000 for a single person or $170,000 for married c...
Can I sign up for Medicare Part D at any time?
Not really. You can sign up for Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage) when you first beco...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?