Does Medicare cover chiropractic care?

Medicare Part B (medical insurance) pays for basic chiropractic care, or manipulation of the spine and nervous system.

However, Medicare will not cover your initial physical exam, x-rays, physical therapy, orthopedic devices, vitamins and supplements, or evaluation services.

Yes, doctors of chiropractic are defined as “physicians” in the Medicare Program (1861(r) of the Social Security Act) and were specifically included in the program at the direction of Congress in 1972. Spinal manipulation is a covered service for Medicare beneficiaries.

Continue Learning about Medicare

A Last-Minute Guide to Shopping for Medicare
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period is about to come to a close. December 7 is your final chance to change from one Medicare Advantage or prescri...
Who can I call for help with my Medicare application?
You can call your local Social Security office or your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SH...
How does the new healthcare law strengthen Medicare?
The new healthcare law puts a little power behind Medicare and expands access to health insurance. H...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?