Does Medicare cover chiropractic care?

Yes, doctors of chiropractic are defined as “physicians” in the Medicare Program (1861(r) of the Social Security Act) and were specifically included in the program at the direction of Congress in 1972. Spinal manipulation is a covered service for Medicare beneficiaries.

Medicare Part B (medical insurance) pays for basic chiropractic care, or manipulation of the spine and nervous system.

However, Medicare will not cover your initial physical exam, x-rays, physical therapy, orthopedic devices, vitamins and supplements, or evaluation services.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
What is Medicare prescription drug benefits Extra Help?
Medicare prescription drug benefits “Extra Help” refers to financial assistance to help you pay for ...
When will I receive my Medicare membership card?
If you enrolled either automatically (because you receive disability or retirement benefits from Soc...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?