Can I sign up for Medicare Part D at any time?

Not really. You can sign up for Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage) when you first become eligible for Medicare (for most people that’s when you are between age 64 years 8 months and 65 years 3 months). This is the best time to sign up because you won’t have to pay a penalty or a higher premium.

If you decide not to enroll when you first become eligible, you can sign up for Medicare Part D between October 15 and December 7 each year, but as mentioned above, you may pay a penalty and a higher premium.

If you are newly eligible for Medicare, you can enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan up to three months before — and no later than three months after — the month you become eligible. If you didn’t sign up for Medicare Part D at age 65 because you had other drug coverage as good as Medicare’s, you will not have to pay a penalty for signing up late, provided you sign up for a Medicare drug plan within 63 days of dropping your other coverage. If you just didn’t sign up for Part D and currently have no drug plan, you will have to pay a late enrollment penalty if you now want to begin a Part D plan. The longer you wait to sign up, the higher your penalty — and you will have to pay the higher premium for as long as you have Part D.

Continue Learning about Medicare

How to Pick the Right Medicare Part D Plan for You
If you're just reaching Medicare age, you might be surprised to find out that traditional Medicare doesn't cover prescription drugs. As drug costs ros...
Has fraud been a problem in Medicare?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The U.S. General Accounting Office reported a loss of $12.6 billion to the Medicare program from fra...
Can my 20-year-old son be added to my Medicare policy?
AARPAARP
No, he cannot be added to your Medicare, although there is a provision in the new law that allows ad...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?