Are continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) covered by Medicare?

Most people with diabetes are aware of the benefits of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM). A CGM helps track and monitor trends in blood sugar patterns. Currently, CGM is not covered under Medicare. As a result, millions of seniors with diabetes continue to face unnecessary hospitalizations from hypoglycemia. The Medicare CGM Access Act of 2015 (H.R.1427 / S.804) is a bill that would ensure access to CGM for eligible Medicare patients and help seniors achieve better glucose control and fewer complications.

Continue Learning about Medicare

10 Things You Need to Know About Medicare
Maximizing Medicare Medicare pays for much of the cost of hospital stays and doctor’s office visits for people ages 65 and older. This 50-year-old gov...
What is the difference between Medicare Advantage and Original Medicare?
AARPAARP
Medicare Advantage plans are an alternative to Original Medicare. They may also be known as Medicare...
Can I get my “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after enrollment?
You can get your “Welcome to Medicare” exam done anytime after you enroll in Medicare, but Medic...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?