While having autologous stem cell transplant, can I wear makeup or jewelry?

Most patients are in the hospital for two to three weeks while they have treatment with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT).

While your white blood cell count is low, no makeup, jewelry for piercing, or contact lenses can be worn. When your absolute granulocyte count (AGC), a portion of your total white blood cell count, recovers to 500 for three days in a row, you may wear makeup, including foundation, blush and lipstick, and jewelry for piercings.

Eye makeup and contact lenses may not be worn until your AGC is 2,000 for two weeks in a row. This usually occurs within the first three weeks of leave the hospital. All makeup products that you use must be new following your transplant. Fingernail polish and artificial nails are not permitted, as they can harbor bacteria and fungus.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What should I expect when recovering from outpatient surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
After ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery, be prepared to go home and finish your recovery there. Pat...
What are some types of cross-sectional interventional services (CIS)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are some types of cross-sectional interventional services (CIS): Biopsy: A tissue ...
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?
What Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?