What is the Jobe's test?

Kristofer J. Jones, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
The Jobe's test is done to specifically test the supraspinatus muscle. Your doctor will ask you to place your arm in abduction/forward flexion with the thumb pointed towards the floor. He/she will then ask you to provide resistance as they push the arm down. With that forced loading of the supraspinatus muscle, your doctor can tell whether or not the supraspinatus is involved in your shoulder pain.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What is the predictive value of a medical test?
An important aspect of accuracy of a test is called predictive value. This has to do with the co...
What can I expect during a cross-sectional interventional service (CIS)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After you change into a hospital gown for the cross-interventional service (CIS), the nurse or t...
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?