What is the Chamberlain procedure?

The Chamberlain procedure is a procedure in which a tube is inserted into the chest to view the tissues and organs in the area between the lungs and between the breastbone and heart. The tube is inserted through an incision next to the breastbone. This procedure is usually used to get a tissue sample from the lymph nodes on the left side of the chest. Also called anterior mediastinotomy.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What is repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) is a treatment for reducing severe anxiety sympt...
What should I expect after outpatient surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
After ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room. Your anesthesiolog...
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?
What Are Some Less Invasive Reconstruction Techniques?