What is facial reanimation surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Facial reanimation surgery is the process of bringing a new nerve supply to a specific muscle on the face to regain normal activity. Muscle transfer, fascial slings, and cross nerve grafting is used to reanimate the a paralyzed half of the face. Congenital facial palsy or syndromes such as hemifacial atrophy may be correctable with cross facial nerve grafting from one side of the face to the other. Our goals as plastic and reconstructive surgeons is to allow the patient both FUNCTIONAL use of the mouth for eating, and COSMETIC improvement and appearance of the face (allowing for bilateral symmetry). 

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What is a subcutaneous injection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A subcutaneous injection is when medicine is given into the tissue just below the skin. It is gi...
Where can I give a subcutaneous injection?
A subcutaneous injection can be given in different sites: in the legs, arms or belly. However, t...
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?