What is a Valsalva leak point pressure test?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Valsalva leak point pressure (VLPP) is a reliable test that is easy to perform. It measures the lowest abdominal pressure required during a stress activity (such as coughing) that would cause the urethra to open and, therefore, leak. To perform this test, catheters are placed in the bladder and rectum. The bladder is filled with sterile water or saline to at least one-half its capacity. You’ll be asked to slowly cough or bear down until leakage is seen and measured by the cystometer. Pressure within the abdomen is measure by means of a small rectal balloon that measures pressure in the abdomen. The smallest increase in pressure that results in leakage is called the VLPP.

A normal urethra will not leak at any abdominal pressure. For purposes of reliability, this study is performed at least twice. If you leak during this test, you probably suffer from stress incontinence.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What is the predictive value of a medical test?
An important aspect of accuracy of a test is called predictive value. This has to do with the co...
What are the side effects of a spinal block or epidural?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Side effects of a spinal block or epidural may include minor back pain, headache or difficulty urina...
How Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Performed?
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?