What are surgical simulators?

Surgeons benefit from the use of surgical simulators. Surgical simulators – computerized systems that enable surgeons to learn in a virtual environment – can help students train, and give practicing surgeons an opportunity to learn new or practice less common procedures, such as those for the carotid artery (in the neck) or renal artery (in the kidney).

"With the traditional teaching method in surgery, you learn only what you see in your own hospital during your residency," explained vascular surgeon Rajeev Dayal, MD. "So you may end up with limited knowledge of how to manage conditions that you don't see as frequently."

Continue Learning about Medical Techniques & Procedures

What set-up is used to administer transcranial magnetic stimulation?
Tarique D. Periera, MDTarique D. Periera, MD
For transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), patients sit in a dental chair and wear a small headset...
What are the different types of sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Sedation allows patients to be comfortable during certain surgical or medical procedures. Sedation c...
What Are Some Less Invasive Reconstruction Techniques?
How Can My Nurse Make Injections and Blood Draws Less Painful?