Who pays for clinical trials?

In the United States, the introduction of new medications and medical devices is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Before the FDA will approve an innovation, it must be tested through a clinical trial, a carefully regulated research study using consenting human subjects.

Clinical trials are sponsored or funded by a variety of organizations or individuals such as physicians, medical institutions, foundations, voluntary groups and pharmaceutical or medical device companies, in addition to federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Department of Defense (DOD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These trials can take place in a variety of locations, such as hospitals, universities, doctors' offices or community clinics.

Continue Learning about Medical Research

Will I receive good care if I participate in a clinical trial?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Some people think that the care given to people who participate in clinical trials is not good. Quit...
What is a clinical trial?
SCAISCAI
Oftentimes patients will hear of exciting new treatments for conditions, not realizing that those tr...
What is informed consent in clinical research?
Ruth Politi, MSNRuth Politi, MSN
Informed consent in clinical research is necessary for the protection of humans who agree to partici...
What Makes You Curious?
What Makes You Curious?