How can I find a clinical trial for cancer?

If you are interested in participating in clinical research for cancer, your first conversation should be with your doctor. She or he may be able to suggest trials or help you search for appropriate options. However, it is important to note the following:

• Usually, only people whose cancer has not responded to standard treatments are eligible to participate in Phase I trials.
  • Phase I trials do not usually specify a cancer site, only whether it is a solid tumor or a hematologic (blood) cancer.
  • Your best source of information will be with the facility that is conducting the clinical trial you are interested in.

Many community clinics and doctors' offices have started participating in clinical trials for breast cancer to allow participants to enter studies close to home, thus, avoiding the costs and burdens of travel to major cancer centers. However, finding a geographically convenient study for which you qualify is not always the possible. Either way, it's important to do your homework. There are several online searchable databases that you can use to match your situation to trials currently enrolling people. These include:

• National Cancer Institute, 1-800-4-CANCER, www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials
  • CenterWatch Clinical Trials Listing Service at www.centerwatch.com
  • Coalition of Cancer Cooperative Groups, 1-877-520-4457, www.CancerTrialsHelp.org

Continue Learning about Medical Research

Joining a Clinical Trial: Should You or Shouldn’t You?
You may not feel as if you have much choice when it comes to healthcare for a serious illness. But whether or not to join a clinical trial is complete...
Why is it important to preserve pharmaceutical innovation?
PhRMAPhRMA
Pharmaceutical innovation is not a given. In an era of new scientific and public policy challeng...
Why are patents important to medical innovation?
PhRMAPhRMA
Abraham Lincoln wrote, "Patents provide the fuel of interest to the fire of genius." Indeed, patents...
What's the Return to the American Public of These Patent Investments?