Using liquids, chemicals and sample plates, robotics can run tests on thousands of these compounds on biological samples for potential therapeutic activity. Walk into a modern research facility and you might be surprised to find that in some places, it looks more like a manufacturing plant. The large amounts of data produced are fed into computer systems for analysis and used by the researcher for another round of innovation and discovery.
- Q What is a case-control study?
- Q What is translational research?
- Q How do I know whether to believe the latest medical research findings?
- Q What progress have drug companies made against rare diseases?
- Q Are new discoveries still being made in the field of medicine?
- Q What are orphan drugs?