Using liquids, chemicals and sample plates, robotics can run tests on thousands of these compounds on biological samples for potential therapeutic activity. Walk into a modern research facility and you might be surprised to find that in some places, it looks more like a manufacturing plant. The large amounts of data produced are fed into computer systems for analysis and used by the researcher for another round of innovation and discovery.
- Q Why are randomized, double-blind studies the most trustworthy kind?
- Q Why are stem cells used in medical research?
- Q What is the primary source of funding for new drug development?
- Q How does an idea for a new medicine or medical device come about?
- Q Are new discoveries still being made in the field of medicine?
- Q What are the key steps to improve the process of discovering new medicines?