Using liquids, chemicals and sample plates, robotics can run tests on thousands of these compounds on biological samples for potential therapeutic activity. Walk into a modern research facility and you might be surprised to find that in some places, it looks more like a manufacturing plant. The large amounts of data produced are fed into computer systems for analysis and used by the researcher for another round of innovation and discovery.
- Q What should the future of brain research be?
- Q How can a PlayStation 3 donate its processing power to medical research?
- Q Why do medical studies give conflicting information?
- Q What are the key steps to improve the process of discovering new medicines?
- Q Where can I find information about my medical condition?
- Q How do research laboratories contribute to drug innovation?