How can I give myself a foot massage?

The next time a bad day (or week, or month) has you on the verge of a mini meltdown, undo the anxious knots by getting to know your feet.

Yep, giving yourself a quick foot massage can have almost the same stress-lowering benefit as a full-body rubdown, according to Roberta Lee, MD, author of The SuperStress Solution. Here's her easy 10-step tootsie rub that will make your feet feel great and may help in stress reduction.

Lee's do-it-yourself foot massage is based on the principles of ayurvedic reflexology.
  1. Wash your feet with warm soap and water, then wipe them dry.
  2. Apply a small amount of sesame seed or almond massage oil mixed with lavender essential oils. 
  3. Start rubbing at the base of your little toe.
  4. Move over to the base of the next toe and continue rubbing.
  5. Apply slight pressure on the flesh between your little toe and the next toe over.
  6. Now move to your middle toe.
  7. Massage, stretch, and pull your middle toe in a circular motion, then do the same with your other toes.
  8. With your fingertips or the palms of your hands, gently apply pressure to both sides of your heel just below the ankle, and then rub around your ankle clockwise to boost energy and circulation.
  9. Finally, knead and squeeze your calf muscle to release tension.
  10. Repeat on the second foot.

Continue Learning about Massage Therapy

what are the different types of rollers ?
Foam rollers are available in a number of densities from relatively soft foam, slightly harder than ...
how do i foam roll the front of my hip ?
Lie on your side with the foam roll placed under your hip.  Cross your top leg over the leg on the f...
does massage help during pregnancy and labor ?
During labor some women become anxious and tense their muscles. Massage is a useful tool to help the...
how do i foam roll my hamstrings ?
how do i foam roll my hamstrings ?