question

How long should I keep my medical records?

AARP
AARP
answer

Washington state Attorney General Rob McKenna, in his Ask the AG column, recommends keeping medical bills for at least one year in case there’s a reimbursement dispute. Some experts suggest keeping other records for five years after the end of treatment. Be sure to shred — not just toss — anything with your personal information, such as your health insurance ID number, to help prevent medical identity theft by trash-picking crooks.

But keep your medical history and information on your prescriptions and on your health insurer’s policies on reimbursement, benefits and other questions.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

5 facts about electronic health records
5 facts about electronic health records
In the past, your health history was tracked on paper only, but that's no longer the case. Healthcare providers (HCPs) and hospitals across the countr...
How to Protect Yourself from Medical Records Glitches
As more healthcare providers (HCPs) use electronic health records (EHRs), the dream is that it'll be easier for everyone to work together to share thi...
Getting Your Medical Record Is a Cinch
Getting Your Medical Record Is a Cinch
Change happens all the time -- in the medical profession and in your own life. Perhaps a great job opportunity requires a cross-country move. Or maybe...
What is an anecdotal report?
An anecdotal report is an incomplete description of the medical and treatment history of one or more...