How long should I keep my medical records?

Washington state Attorney General Rob McKenna, in his Ask the AG column, recommends keeping medical bills for at least one year in case there’s a reimbursement dispute. Some experts suggest keeping other records for five years after the end of treatment. Be sure to shred — not just toss — anything with your personal information, such as your health insurance ID number, to help prevent medical identity theft by trash-picking crooks.

But keep your medical history and information on your prescriptions and on your health insurer’s policies on reimbursement, benefits and other questions.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Keep Your Personal Health Record
How to Keep Your Personal Health Record
If you’ve decided that you’re ready to take the plunge and create your own personal health record (PHR), congratulations! A PHR is a powerful tool tha...
What is health information technology?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
The term "health information technology" (health IT) is a broad concept that encompasses an array of...
How can EHRs make medical records available to my doctors in the future?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Electronic health records (EHRs) are a fast way of getting your information into the hands of people...
Under what circumstances would I not be able to see my medical records?
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule gives you the r...